Lee and I have been planning to move to the Philippines for quite some time now, and our latest departure date is April 20th. The company that Lee works for has a project in the Philippines which will require us to be there for 1-2 years. We are really excited about the move, and we hope to keep everyone up to date on our adventure.
For those of us that need a geography lesson The Philippines is located in Southeast Asia, bordered by the Philippine Sea on the east, the South China Sea on the west, and the Celebes Sea to the South. The Philippines is made up of more than 7,000 islands, which span an area of 116,000 square miles. Below are a few facts about the Philippines, which answer a few of the questions that everyone has been asking over the past few months.
- is the 12th most populated country with a population over 90 million people.
- is a former colony of both Spain & the United States.
- is one of the only two predominantly Roman Catholic countries in Asia.
- has a presidential, unitary form of government. Presidents are elected to a six year term. The current president - is a woman, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
- contain mountainous, volcanic and rain forest regions.
- is located within the Typhoon Belt, and is struck by approximately 19 typhoons per year.
- has 2 seasons, dry & rainy. The temperature ranges from 79-99 degrees F. year round.
- has 2 official languages, Filipino or Tagalog and English.
- is currently 13 hours ahead of the Central Time Zone.